April Reading Ladder

The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath (244 pages)

Rating: 4/5

Plath has a way of writing about isolation, depression, and loneliness in a way that is the opposite of cliche, and encompasses everything these feelings and themes are in her tone, metaphor, and the style of her work. I loved her poetry before this book, and I loved the novel just as much. There seemed to be a constant battle between who one should be and who one actually is, and whether or not one should reconcile this difference.

The Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde (100 pages, still reading)

Rating: 5/5

This book has taught me so much about the world, vanity, and beauty, and I’m only 100 pages in. Reading Oscar Wilde’s writing has been almost an out of body experience because sometimes I can’t believe how true some of his lines are. I’ve recently started reading more of his epigrams, and they reveal all of the aspects of human nature that no writer wants to address. I can’t wait to read more of Dorian Gray. It is easily becoming one of my favourite works of literature of all time.

Total Pages Read: 344

Pages per Week: 86

Pages per Day: 12

I didn’t read as much as I would have liked to this month, but it was understandable because of One Act performances and schoolwork. However, in May I want to get up to 18 pages a day and finish The Picture of Dorian Gray. I also want to read more of Oscar Wilde’s work, so I might explore his other novels.